Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 15:23 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 09.10.12 07:10, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > On 10/09/2012 04:34 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > >rsyslog.service
> >
> > Remind me again of the reason why we are still shipping rsyslog by
> > default now that we have the journal?
>
> For F19 I plan to submit a feature asking for not installing syslog by
> default anymore. I wonder how far I'll get with this before this is
> shut down by the conservatives... ;-)

Does systemd journal populate /var/log/messages ?

If not, don't do that.

I already found myself stranded in F18 a couple of times.
Stuff changed and there is no way to discover how to fix things.
My 2 current gripes:
1.
/etc/systconfig/network is no more, so where do I set the hostname ?
(why anaconda doesn't offer to set it ?) Why isn't there
a /etc/systconfig/network name with a comment that tells where new stuff
is supposed to go ?

2.
The machine came up *with* network, but not using the configuration I
gave in anaconda, and there was no immediate way for me to even shut it
down, which is really bad.
system-config-network is no more
ifconfig is gone (I use ip addr, but this will surprise a lot of people)
/etc/sysconfig/network-script didn't have any ifcfg-eth0 configuration
file, and yet network manager was bringing up eth0 w/o any configuration
I could find using DHCP (I totally DID not want it) and although
NetworkManager.conf included the rh plugin to use sysconfig files.

Now I know 2) is not a systemd fault but it highlight the fact that we
are changing the system without any consideration to the admins that get
to use it.

Can I ask that you *think* about this issue and whenever possible drop a
comment in a file where people would expect to find stuff following the
legacy scheme or provide a shim command that explains what to use
instead ?

For configuring NM I had to finally look at an example file on another
mahcine and create manually my own ifcfg-eth0 file. This is a huge
usability regression and I think bringing up an interface by default
when no configuration is available is also a very serious issue, It is
actually potentially a security issue.

Sorry if this comes out as a rant.
I am *NOT* against these changes.
But I'd like to see more forethought in helping admins find their way
when things get changed. I am not asking for perfect backwards
compatibility either, but leave trails admins can follow to use the new
stuff, please.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York