Re: Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 10:39:21PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> No one but Tim asked for a web based solution. We don't need an
> application submission process either, just present the applications
> we have in a more usable manner (i.e applications not packages).
> The code for a native application support is mostly there. People that
> want to maintain this code are also present.
> What is missing is generating the required metadata (which requires
> support from the infrastructure team).

Let me check my understanding.... for this metadata, we need to, at
repository compose time:

  1. look in each rpm for a desktop file
  2. pull the desktop file out of the rpm
  3. put that info into a data structure
  4. write that out as xml

Is there more?

So, in addition to putting forth an overall plan -- which is still an
important step! -- it looks like an obvious thing to do is work on adding
this functionality to createrepo. Then it's just a matter of asking the
release engineering team to turn it on, right? (And helping deal with any
performance costs -- it's unfortunate that the file has to be pulled out of
the RPM. If this is very successful, a future version of RPM could add
metadata from the desktop file at build time.)

Alternately, this could be done asynchronously, since the metadata doesn't
care about specific package version and release, just the name, so if they
get a little out of sync it's probably okay. So it _could_ be a separate
tool. Here, there's no reason someone couldn't stand this up separately as a
proof of concept.

And, a yum plugin could be written that would search on and install these
applications, just as yum currently handles groupinstall.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>