Re: Fedora's Cloud Future (and, self (re-)introduction)

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM, les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 15:26 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:04:52PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> > In summary: I believe that containers are a big part of being awesome in
>> > the cloud. And right now running Fedora inside a container is not that
>> > great an experience. It kinda works, but it's very very rough around the
>> > edges.
>>
>> Thanks Lennart. I agree, this is an important aspect.
>>
>> > Yes, I know I should have subscribed to the ML and posted that there,
>> > but I am soooo lazy to do that for one mail only... I apologize.
>>
>> Not a problem -- this list is good too, because ultimately it's going to
>> affect everyone. I'm happy to engage community members, developers, and
>> users not just in my "home space" but in theirs as well. :)
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Miller  _☁_  Fedora Cloud Architect  _☁_  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I am a cloud doubter.  Cloud for business is one thing, IF and only if
> the cloud is maintained by that business.  Otherwise a third party is
> free to move the data wherever they want, meaning physical access, legal
> control, license review and regulation are no longer in control.  Worse,
> it leads to volume based pricing, which can then be easily manipulated
> without the consumers knowledge, ability to recognize it, or to control
> it.  Moreover it will make censure-ship easier, and in general bad for
> the common user.

If the past can help us in any way to make prediction about the
future, here is mine:
In 10 years, the cloud will be over. People will still use it, but its
pervasiveness will give place
to a client-side solution, with people storing and processing their
data themselves.

In another 10-years, that client-side solution will be replaced by
another server-side one. The cloud name
will be picked by the past, and people will use something else, maybe "Galaxy"

But until it happens, for those who want to surf the cloud, best thing
Fedora can do is allow them to do with
the best technologies we can.