Re: [Guidelines Change] Change to the Packaging Guidelines

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Note that there are actually three kinds of services in my eyes:
>
> 1) Services that are not enabled after package installation
> 2) Services that are enabled after package installation
> 3) Services that "static", i.e. enabled unconditionally via symlinks in
>    /usr/ rather than in /etc/, and are not supposed to be disabled, and
>    can only be disabled via "systemctl mask", but "systemctl enable" and
>    "systemctl disable" does not really apply to them.
>
> Examples for #1 are things like Apache and MySQL I guess.
>
> Examples for #2 are things like Syslog, cron, SSH, ...
>
> Examples for #3 are things like PolicyKit, D-Bus, LVM, udisks, upower, ...
>
> And my suspicion is that the first sentence in
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default which says
> "If a service does not require configuration to be functional and is not
> network enabled, it may be enabled by default (but is not required to do
> so)" should probably just mean that a service like this should be
> considered of type #3.

I can see no reason for such a "suspicion".  The wording "enabled by
default" automatically implies the ability to disable, doesn't it?

> Or with other words: I think quite strongly that a service that a
> service covered by this sentence is probably either one of type #1 or
> type #3, but not for #2.

Why?  If we want to move in the direction of a static "system image"
separate from "configuration" (which was one of the reported
motivations of /usr move), it should be possible to disable installed
services in the "configuration", not by package removal from the
"system image" - or at least to disable anything that is not contained
in the "minimal platform" installation.  So, in particular, udisks2
and upower needs to be user-controlled.
    Mirek