Re: [Guidelines Change] Change to the Packaging Guidelines

On Tue, 07.08.12 17:55, Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On 07/08/12 17:41, Tom Callaway wrote:
>
> >The systemd scriptlet guidelines have been updated for Fedora 18. In
> >Fedora 18, the systemd package now provides helper macros to simplify
> >%post, %preun, and %postun invocations in packages with systemd unit
> >files. Additionally, these macros enable support for systemd "profiles",
> >a Fedora 18 Feature.
> >
> >​https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Systemd
>
> The postun macros look wrong - as written the guidelines will result
> in a service that is not enabled by default not being restarted on
> upgrade which is a change from the current behaviour.

This looks mostly like a copy/paste mistake in the guidelines.

The bit about "If your service should be enabled by default, ..." should
actually read "If your service should be restarted on upgrades, ...".

The big change here is that the policy whether to enable/disable a
package by default after installation is no longer encoded in the
package itself, but in the preset policy. Thus, mechanism and policy are
cleanly separated, so that spins or even local administrators can employ
their own schemes here. The Fedora default preset policy is now shipped
in systemd.rpm (though I am happy to move it elsewhere, if people
prefer). That basically means: if you are converting a service that
shall be enabled by default to these new macros (i.e. a service listed
on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default ) then
please file a bug against systemd so that your service is added to the
default preset policy, so that your service continues to be enabled by
default after package installation.

Spot, may I suggest adding a short paragraph about this to the guidelines?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.