Re: prelink should not mess with running executables

Garrett Holmstrom writes:

On 2012-07-15 15:00, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Benny Amorsen writes:
Perhaps it's just me, but why would the daemon stat /proc/self/exe? I
presume prelink writes a new file and renames into place as a proper
Unix program should, which still leaves the original program intact on
disk until the last open file descriptor referring to it is gone.

A means for authenticating a filesystem domain socket's peer. Receive
the peer's credentials, then check /proc/pid/exe and /proc/self/exe. If
they're same, the daemon is talking to another instance of itself.

Admittedly without knowledge of what daemon you are referring to, how is the file name alone sufficient to be able to determine that something is, indeed, the same program? My security-sense seems to be tingling. ;-)

Can you explain how two completely different executables could possibly end up having the same absolute pathname?

Unless there's some way this can happen, I'm fairly optimistic that if /proc/pid1/exe is the same thing as as /proc/self/exe, you have a fairly reasonable level of confidence that pid1 is the same executable as you are.

That is, of course, in absence's of prelink's bull-in-the-china-shop modus operandi.