Re: Fwd: Filtering question

On 06/21/2012 03:53 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
On 06/21/2012 04:04 PM, Paul Howarth wrote:
On 06/21/2012 10:18 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
I raised this issue on rpmfusion-devel. However, I think it's general
enough to seek advice also here on fedora-devel. since it's really about
how to understand the filtering guidelines.

Hi!

I'm reviewing a package 2300  which at a glance seems to need filtering:
it both Requires: and Provides: it's internal plugin libraries, many of
which with generic names likely to clash with other packages symbols.

But when I look at the guidelines at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering,
they

seem to be contradictory:
  - One one hand, a package "Must not export RPM dependency information
which is not global in nature..." e. g., plugins.
  - On the other, a package which have binaries in PATH and/or system
libraries must not use filtering; this applies also to sub-packages.

The filtering page on the wiki is rather out of date as it pre-dates
rpm 4.9 (F-15 onwards), which includes a native filtering mechanism
and doesn't require that the internal dependency generator be turned
off, and is therefore safe to use on packages containing binaries.

Ouch! And thanks! This has cost Richard (the submitter) quite some time.

Any chance that you, who seems to know this stuff, could update the
wiki? Or at least just insert a warning it's outdated? I know I could
that myself, and I will unless someone else does. But it's always an
advantage to know what you are talking about ;)

That would have to go through the packaging committee, as the Packaging: pages have restricted edit access.

I could write up a draft but it'll take quite a while to get round to it as I'm really busy at work at the moment.

Paul.