Re: [announce] yum: parallel downloading

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 11:24 +0930, Glen Turner wrote:
> On 21/05/2012, at 5:12 PM, Zdenek Pavlas wrote:
> >
> > Three connections limit is used when the above is not available
> > (e.g. a baseurl setup with just one mirror).  I don't mind lowering
> > it to just two, as that should work good enough in most cases.
>
> Yes please. Two is better than three from the server's point of view.

 Do _any_ web browsers have a connection limit lower than 4? Given that
and that we obey the max connections limit of the user and that in the
metalink ... it seems pretty alarmist to say 3 is too many to a single
server.

> Yum doesn't put in the HTTP header (say, appended to User-Agent) why
> it decided to use our mirror, so we have no count of the sites or
> users which manually set baseurl or give our mirror's name to
> anaconda. Mailing list postings often recommend this when people
> complain of slow or expensive downloads.

 You can open an RFE in bugzilla, and we could look at it if it's really
useful information ... one problem though is that we combine all
bareurls+mirrors, and move between them at the urlgrabber layer. So we
couldn't easily just change something on the yum side.