Re: Stop the git abuse

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:07:56AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:13:41AM -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> > We automatically generate the spec file changelog block each time we make a
> > new release of anaconda.  Check out scripts/makebumpver in the anaconda git
> > repo on git.fedorahosted.org.
> >
> > For us, the work is done in git.fedorahosted.org and we make .tar.bz2
> > releases of anaconda.  The resulting archive and spec file are then checked
> > in to pkgs.fedoraproject.org and built using fedpkg.  Same basic workflow
> > from when it was cvs as well.
>
> On this subject, it'd also be good to have an easier method to
> maintain packages as unpacked source + patches on top, which get
> turned as automatically as possible into spec files.  I'm maintaining
> a few (RHEL, not Fedora) packages this way, and it sure makes handling
> patches easier.
>
> Also:
> https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/nice-rpm-git-patch-management-trick/#content

Yeah, that is a nice workflow for package management in
pkgs.fedoraproject.org for things that we [the Fedora project] are not also
the upstream for.  For the anaconda case, we're sort of unique in that we
don't make releases and post them anywhere.  The .tar.bz2 files end up in
SRPMs only.  So for us, we go to great lengths to avoid patches in
pkgs.fedoraproject.org.  If we have to make changes, that's a new release.
The anaconda SRPM should only ever contain a spec file and tarball from us.
Downstream consumers will probably put patches in there though.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Supervisor, Installer Engineering Team