Re: While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 04:40:14PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:39:16 +0100

>>> Hmm, that is trickier ...  The particular problem with RPM Fusion is
>>> that no coordination is possible, or even legally permitted.
>>>

>> And there are a billion local, private repos like this.
>>
>> You cannot expect that fedora will EVER be able to calculate against
>> all of them. And therefore yum has to be able to handle depresolution
>> failure.
>
> The only bad thing that happens is that yum downloads some RPMs which
> it then can't install, so it in an edge case it's downloading too
> much.  Normally the RPMs it downloads to find the dependencies are
> ones it will subsequently install, so there is (in the normal, common
> case) no overhead.

If you're always running "yum -y", then there's probably little
difference.  Otherwise, downloading while resolving will add significant
delay between starting the command and confirming "y" to actually run it.

Anyone on a slow connection will curse you for this, and even on my fast
connection, it takes a bit to download hundreds of MB for debuginfo
updates...

Josh