Re: SELinuxDenyPtrace: Write, compile, run, but don't debug applications?

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 14:04 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Option 2: Disable ptrace for everything except direct child processes.
> Allows the common case of running a task directly under a tool like gdb
> or strace, but forbids attaching one to an already running task. May
> break some of the same tools as option 1. Ubuntu defaults to this
> behaviour.

This refers to the proposal to deny PTRACE_ATTACH, but not
PTRACE_TRACEME? Is that really that significant in the security
analysis? The threat as I understand it is that someone could read the
memory of gnome-key-ring and get access to private keys or passwords
protecting the private keys. But if an attacker can trace an invocation
of say gnome-keyring-daemon --replace isn't that just as bad?

> Option 4: Identify the set of most vulnerable applications, run them in
> confined domains and either forbid them access to ptrace or permit them
> only to ptrace children.

This might expand to most/all gui applications (since it would
necessarily include any "viewers" that applications spawn for showing
downloaded remote data), but this seems a better option to me.

> To a first approximation, simply auditing the distribution for anything
> that opens files or reads information from the network and forbidding
> them ptrace access (and denying ptrace access from any existing confined
> domains except, maybe, staff_t) seems like it would get us most of the
> way to option 4 without breaking existing user expectations. What am I
> missing that makes this infeasible?

As far as I understand, this would work, if anything spawned from
firefox would also be in a no-introspection-context. But not in time for
F17. So the questions really is whether or not we keep breaking user
expectations and make developers "unbreak" their machines in F17.

Cheers,

Mark