Re: httpd 2.4 is coming, RFC on module packaging draft

2012/3/27 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 03/27/2012 05:15 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> I assume that that mod_access_compat module only requires a few bytes, so> I
>> don't see why it should not be loaded by default forever (or at least as
>> long as upstream supports it, which hopefully will be for the whole 2.4
>> cycle).
>

> Few bytes for mod_access_compat here, few bytes for something else there....

I suppose this needs repeating from time to time.  One byte of disk
space costs .00000000008065817067$ on the best-selling hard drive
around here.  Even if there were 100 million Fedora users (which is a
huge overestimate AFAIK), that is $0.008 for all Fedora users
together.  Compare to a tens of minutes, or hours, per affected user
that needs to update their system.  Disk space at this scale just
cannot be a reason to drop legacy interfaces.  (There might be other
arguments, such as maintenance manpower.)

>> Of course, web app packages in Fedora itself SHOULD be updated to the new
>> directives, but that's not a reason to gratuitously break the old ones.
>
> It's my experience that things dont seem to get fixed unless they are broken

Is that another way of saying that "only broken things need fixing"? :)
    Mirek