Re: ARM as a primary architecture

On 03/23/2012 05:59 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

And yes smartphones are booming, but they're not booming because they
are a good desktop substitute, they're booming because they are a
good dumbphone substitute (and before that digital cameras replaced
chemical cameras, and mp3 readers replaced walkmans, and I'm sure if
someone had counted the chips in them it would have made an
impressive established trend dwarfing the number of computers of that
era)

Let's not forget why we're talking about this. The point was made to put more effort in developing ARM Fedora because of the increasing importance of that platform. I believe that is a correct assessment in a broad sense, even if the details are arguable. In my mind, it's as much about the architecture as about the supported set of hardware features and modes of user interaction.

I am not claiming that tablets are the ultimate platform that will replace everything else. Rather, I think that the direct manipulation GUIs that originated on the mobile devices are a good idea on all platforms, and I prefer that a mature desktop system like Fedora evolves to include it, rather than trying to add functionality to mobile platform. I don't want Android on whatever I use at my desk in few years.

Don't get me wrong---I love my droid but it is sometimes a frustrating relationship. A lot of tools that I am used to on the desktop are missing---some for good reason (limitations of small screen, awkward keyboard) but sometimes it's just not there because the dev environment is too different and there's no port.