Re: This "karma" stuff is a pain!

On 03/16/2012 05:13 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
Le jeudi 15 mars 2012 à 12:49 -0400, John Ellson a écrit :
Can we just generate "karma" from a comment in bugzilla please?  Having
to find some other weird place to indicate that a fix "works for me" is
a real pain.
Have you tried fedora-easy-karma ?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Easy_Karma

This is supposed to be easy?
"Run fedora-cert, included with fedora-easy-karma as a dependency, to set up a certificate with your FAS credentials. "

I'm sure "karma" is useful to Release-Engineering. I just think the scope is wrong for a bug reporter.

Take, for example:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/NetworkManager-0.9.3.995-0.6.git20120314.fc17

The update contains fixes for three problems:  800690, 798102, 802540

I contributed to the first bug, 800690, and duly tested and reported "works for me", but I had no involvement in the other two, so I'm not in a position to judge their "karma".

I think these release updates should automatically gain partial, per-bug karma from "works for me" in the bug reports.

"karma" for the update in total needs to come from people in a "release-engineering" role, rather than people in a "bug reporting/fixing/testing role".

I agree that people using an "update testing" repository are reasonable candidates for the "release-engineering" role, but "bug reporting/fixing/testing" role doesn't require "update testing". The bugs fixes might be tested directly from koji, or from some private builds, or even from local patching.

I am trying to be constructive here. We're all busy people. I just think that "karma" is outside of a reasonable workflow for a bug reporter.

John