Re: More explanation requested for warning about rawhide inheriting updates

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

Rawhide inherits from updates of the most recent branch, which is currently the branched release (f17). Updates will inherit from the release. A package is only inherited if there are no builds for it at the current level.
[and more good explanation]

Thanks!  That's exactly what I needed to know.

There is a trick to use when you want to make an update for one release that you won't be doing in later releases and where you want to keep the later release versions higher than the update. You can add .1 (or .2 etc) after %{dist}.

I've seen that done, but didn't know the purpose. I think it's the right case in my situation. I've updated muParser in rawhide, and am pushing updates for F16 and F17. muParser has a new so version. Meshlab depends on muParser, but meshlab currently won't build in F17 and rawhide due to GCC 4.7 becoming more picky about C++ namespace rules. I'm waiting for help upstream with getting Meshlab to build with GCC 4.7, but in the mean time I want to do a rebuild of meshlab for F16 to use the new muParser. It looks like I should add the ".1" suffix after %{dist}for F16 and push an update.

Eric