Automating the NonResponsiveMaintainers policy

I am a feature owner for a feature that involves components in the hundreds and is heavily depended on maintainers responsiveness.

For me to start enacting the non responsive maintainers policy is a tremendous work thus I'm wondering if there is something preventing us from automating the non responsive maintainer policy?

An bugzilla script that acts something like if maintainer has not responded to a bug report with the status new in a week ( or some other time ) the non responsive maintainers policy automatically starts taking effect.

To get out of that automatic non responsive process the maintainer would have to comment on the bug and set it's status assigned ( or something similar ).

JBG