Re: Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

On jue, 2012-02-02 at 00:44 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> So the argument that you're refusing to implement a cross-desktop
> >> protocol in order to ban random applications from adding themselves to
> >> the panel is bogus.
> >
> > Nobody said that.
>
> Florian Müllner did:

Not really. We didn't implement it because:

 - the spec is bad
 - it is a bad fit for the experience we want

> | You are right about requiring a Javascript extension to add items to the
> | top panel, but you are wrong about the reasoning - it is not because the
> | "system tray looked out of place" (which it does, but it is nevertheless
> | still supported in the message tray), but rather because the top panel
> | is considered "system space", which means that we do not want random
> | applications to add anything to it.

Or in other words: there is no "system tray" in the top bar. There are
exactly two places applications can hook into: the application menu and
the message tray.

Extensions may be used to "hack" the designed user experience, which
includes adding stuff to the top bar.

Florian