Re: Rolling release Fedora - fantastic idea

On 01/31/2012 10:45 AM, Jos Vos wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:36:32AM -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

The downgrades would actually be better than having an unsupported
system that doesn't get any updates ever. The assumption here is that
the downgrades aren't introducing any security or fundamental
functionality issues--hopefully, 'long term support' means that they
would fix such problems.

If people can live with RHEL/CentOS/SL' "older" packages *and* need LTS,
why would they *ever* start using Fedora anyway (when they know they
have to move to RHEL/CentOS/SL at some point anyway).

Sorry, this is really a *very* weird scenario.

I don't think it is weird at all. Look at the deployment lifecycle: Fedora provides the most recent software, so it makes perfect sense to deploy it on new systems. Why settle for the old stuff?

At the same time, if the deployment is successful, we're no longer chasing the latest features, and the stability becomes paramount---the good is the enemy of the best. For a while, Fedora allows us to coast on such a running system, but then we're caught by the EOL.

What do you do with your Fedora systems deployed long-term? update them as soon as new version comes up? leave them running? don't use Fedora for the long term?