Re: UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

On 01/27/2012 07:43 PM, Jef Spaleta wrote:
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Reindl Harald<h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
if you finally want have /bin as symlink forever this whole
change is only wasted time and makes no sense at all

If you haven't read the new summary write-up on the benefits of the
/user feature that I think you would benefit from reading it.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
Well, ... politliness prohibits to further comment on this.

Only so far: Fedora is the first Linux to implement this. I am not aware about any other having done so. Other major Linux distros currently are discussing this topic (sometimes controversially and heated), but haven't decided yet.

We will see, whether they'll adopt it, or whether this "feature" will remain a "crazy RH idea" and/or be considered a "bad joke".

We will see, whether users and developers will welcome it, or whether they will regard this "feature" to be yet another demonstration of Fedora users being the RH "guinea pigs".

If you have read it, then I fear you either don't fully understand or
do not value the long term benefits associated with the filesystem
snapshotting nor the utility of having read-only shared vendor
supplied /usr across many guest instances.

Read-only /usr would have always been possible, if there would have been willingness to implement it and if people had cared about it.

If those stated benefits are achievable in practise, I think carrying
around a few symlinks in / till the heat death of the universe is a
Agreed. This estimate is quite realistic, but I would not bet, Fedora will have enough user and contributors to survive the next couple of years to experience the heat death of universe.