Re: The question of rolling release?

On 01/24/2012 06:30 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
I dont think there is a massive user base waiting for a rolling release
really. Rolling release automatically implies a level of disruption
periodically everytime a major component is bumped up. Esp for binary
distros, this isn't that great a user experience. I would participate in
such a effort but I don't buy the idea of this as a trend

I'd be interested in a rolling release iff updates weren't disruptive. Considering each release usually comes with *some* issues. Sometimes regular updates has issues (for example eclipse updates regularly causes me issues - no hard feelings). However if that happened regularly as the release rolled on... I'd be finding an alternative. I like to choose when to upgrade because I know when my schedule matches.

So far I've seen lots of discussion about can we do it, but no proposal nor any real set of why it would be better. Does it reduce packaging work? Does it do X Y Z? Why would I *want* a rolling release?