Re: Bad package selection practices in Fedora packages

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 6:00 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I also discovered that three different tracker processes were running
>> in my xfce desktop!  However since I don't see a need for them for me,
>> nor do I want them, it was relatively easy to prevent them from
>> executing on desktop startup by going to The Applications menu, then
>> Settings->"Session and Startup" and under the "Application Autostart"
>> tab then switch off "Tracker File System Miner", "Tracker Store" and
>> "Tracker Miner for Flickr" as three separate switches - after that
>> there are no tracker processes running after the next login.....  and
>> if necessary the cache files can be removed as well.
>
> Annoyingly, I also have tracker processes on KDE.  You'd think the
> GNOME apps that need that stuff could use KDE's bits, and vice versa,
> given that they their both based on Nepomuk.  *sighs*
>
>> I guess there are analogous switches in KDE too that might help make
>> KDE actually work as a much snappier desktop? In fact I abandonned KDE
>> for xfce because it was simply too slow logging in for my liking. All
>> this in f16 but others may have a different experience of course?
>>
>> If this makes KDE a usable desktop again I might even try it when I
>> have a bit of spare time!
>
> For desktop search specifically, go to System Settings > Desktop
> Search and uncheck everything on the first tab.  KDE's equivalent to
> GNOME's "Session and Startup" is the "Startup and Shutdown" panel in
> System Settings, so you can disable other unwanted services too.
>
> I feel like I'm the only Fedora user on the planet who actually does
> like desktop search.  I love that I can press ALT+F2 and play a movie
> or e-mail somebody just as easily as I've always opened programs from
> there.  IMHO, it beats trawling through even the most well organized
> directory structure.
>
> The problem with it for most of us is we have gobs of crap in $HOME,
> so it takes a lot of juice and space to index it all.  If you
> configure it to only search in places where desktop search is actually
> beneficial, it uses a lot less resources, and the signal-to-noise
> ratio is such that its much more useful.

I think the error here is less in the coding in packages than in the
design of the default system specifications, specifically the package
selection.

The errors gnome has committed would seem to be off-topic here, unless
the Fedora community still needs more evidence of how far gnome has
gone evil, or still needs more fuel for the debate about
whether/when/where said evil should be considered necessary.

The Fedora community should be able to decide which packages to group
together for which installs.

I do not look forward to updating to F16. With all the stuff I expect
to have to shut down and tweak, I'm thinking I might as well start
with a CLI only base install, the way things are done in openbsd.
Tweaking is tweaking, and tweaking while you build is more
constructive than tweaking while you chisel and pare.

I do plan on trying F16, anyway. I hope that, if I opt out of desktop
search there, as I did when I installed F11, it will still keep me
free of that evil.

The locate database is sufficient for my purposes.

Package selection needs to be somewhat more conservative, and I have
the impression that the dependency mapping needs re-work.

--
Joel Rees