Re: Bad coding practices in Fedora packages

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 02:32:28PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> In my opinion, a "search tool and indexer", even if it brands itself
> "a powerful desktop-neutral first class object database", has no valid
> technical reasons to run on the machine all the time, even at times when
> nothing is using it, as was the case at the moment I took the above snapshot.

  Well, indexer need to index files. And react to new files appearing. Which
brings in another wart of tracker - in default Fedora installation, it is set
to work "while other application are running, except for initial crawl". This
makes computer barely usable on second login, while tracker indexes gigabytes
of text files in my ~.  At least on rotating rust storage, SSD may be better.
And running in idle IO priority doesn't help much.
  Tracker should be set to run "only when computer is not being used". But then,
tracker-preferences is not installed by default.

  Also, 30 GiB in .cache/tracker is a bit extreme when rest of my ~ is 4 GiB.

--
Tomasz Torcz       ,,(...) today's high-end is tomorrow's embedded processor.''
xmpp: zdzichubg@xxxxxxxxx                      -- Mitchell Blank on LKML