Re: Getting grub launching the installer

David Howells writes:

It took a long time to load from grub1 for me too - several minutes.  Loading
it by hand from grub2 was much quicker.  I had the joy of doing the latter as
two of the three machines I upgraded to F-16 failed to boot thereafter.

I waited 10-15 minutes, no go.

On one I had /boot on RAID1.  The installer generated a blank grub.cfg file
[BZ 750794], but I managed to coax it to dracut and thence to chroot on the

Been there.

main rootfs.  (The dracut shell is horrible to use btw - no recallable,
editable command line history).  Then I managed to fill in the grub.cfg file.
_Why_ does dracut not load the md module unless the raid modules are loaded in
grub?!

At least you ended up with a bootable system. I had to back up (in rescue mode), wipe, reinstall, and restore a server because grub2 wouldn't install at all, during upgrade, because of bug 737508 (and I had no idea what was wrong, other than total foobar-age, Google was useless, and I didn't know that I could simply shave a megabyte off /boot to give grub2 more space to sit in), and F16's grub persistently complained about "Error 16", no matter how much I re-fscked and resynced /boot.

At least it looks like now that this'll get fixed for F17.