Getting grub launching the installer

For the longest time, I was able to upgrade an existing system by copying over the pxeboot vmlinuz and initrd.img, sticking them into menu.lst, and directing grub to load them.

Up until F14 this worked fine. F15's pxeboot/vmlinuz made me stare at a blank screen, and the only available option, apparently, was the three- fingered salute. I wrote it off as an F15 glitch.

Now, same story with F16. Looks like I have to do a real PXE boot. No big deal, but it's a pain. Grub was much easier – copy two files over, edit menu.lst, and I'm done.

I don't seem to find this installation method documented, just wondering if it's gone for good, or this is just my problem.