Re: Heads Up: FESCo is considering to block packages providing sysvinit services without systemd unit

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 14:05 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 10.11.11 11:07, Ian Kent (raven@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > We have had email threads like this for two release cycles now and yet
> > > the main problem still remains the same packagers/maintainers not either
> > > migrating themselves or they not packaging submitted unit files...
> >
> > Thanks for the information on unit files and your efforts to help out,
> > it is much appreciated.
> >
> > Maybe I'm reading too much into the documentation I read. For example,
> > in automount, I don't do a double fork to disassociate from the tty and
> > haven't used that technique for many years.
>
> You aren't? What are you using instead? Note that only double-forking
> will properly detach a process from the parent it is started from on
> Unix, and hence is not an option but mandatory to do -- unless of course
> you are in a systemd environment (or equivalent) which makes the
> detaching redundant since it gives you guarantees about the execution
> context of your service plain SysV does not give you. Please have a look
> at daemon(7) which explains with a check list what daemons need to do on
> SysV to daemonize properly.
>
> I mean, don't get me wrong, I am happy if people write daemons in the
> new style dropping SysV compatibility cruft. But as I understand you
> that's not actually what you are intending here, right? If you care for
> SysV compat you must double fork.

As far as I know the double fork is a SVR4 requirement and SVR5
functions properly with a single fork/setsid etc.

> > But I also don't have problems with that working properly. Also, I
> > don't believe in the idiocy of attempting to close a thousand or more
> > file descriptors at daemon startup. There's more I got from the link
> > in a previous post to this thread (logging to standard out for
> > example) but this is enough to start with.
>
> Well, on SysV it's highly recommended to close all open file
> descriptors. On Linux you can do this efficiently by iterating through
> /proc/self/fd. Again, if you don't care for SysV comptat you can skip
> this step, since systemd guarantees you that the only open fds will be
> 0,1,2 and (if configured) any fds passed due to socket activation.

Yes, I know and it may be necessary to do something on this but I don't
see file handle leakage so I don't see the need to change it.

Ian