Re: Heads Up: FESCo is considering to block packages providing sysvinit services without systemd unit

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 20:28 +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On the today's FESCo meeting we discussed the request to move forward
> the conversion of the sysvinit scripts to systemd units in Fedora 17.
>
> The packages which ship sysvinit script but do not ship systemd unit
> according to the Fedora packaging guidelines violate this rule:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd#Unit_Files
>
> Eventual blocking of the packages that violate this Fedora packaging
> rule was not yet definitively decided upon, but we agreed that the
> Fedora package maintainers should be warned that such blocking might
> happen before the Fedora 17 Alpha release.

Also, to add clarification, what "blocked" means is that the packages
will no longer be shipped in Fedora, and can only be readmitted by
performing a new package review (which will require the systemd unit
file).

FESCo is aware that this may mean that some old and largely unmaintained
packages may end up blocked as a result of this policy. I for one am in
favor of doing so, as if the packages are unmaintained then it can
probably be considered a benefit to Fedora as a whole to have it removed
(or at least spurred into new maintainership).