Re: modularity of DISPLAYMANAGERS

Rudolf Kastl wrote:

So what *is* the point?

I want to be able to package alternative displaymanagers in a way it can
work "out of the box" the current way requires the user to hack some
config files

I don't consider editing /etc/sysconfig/desktop a hack, but that's just me.

and since SWITCHDESK needs a replacement anyways and the
freedesktop.org standard seems to be yet missing the DISPLAYMANAGER part
its a pretty sucky solution imho.

I will say here that it seems you're tackling several different problems/issues here (though your intention sounds to unify the setup for these):
1. What DISPLAYMANAGER (ie, login manger) to use by default.
2. What DESKTOP to use by default
3. Installing/using *new* DISPLAYMANGERs
4. Installing *new* DESKTOPs complete with full support from
a. switchdesk.
b. all/existing (standard-compliant) DISPLAYMANAGERs

Now, if you want more than what I mentioned here, please elaborate.

As I've said (and won't again), I think (1),(2),(3) are handled nicely already via /etc/sysconfig/desktop

For (4a), I agree switchdesk could use improvement:
Offhand, it appeared to me at first as though dropping a new Xclients.foodm into
/usr/share/switchdesk
would be enough to make it work, but alas, there's a bunch of stuff hard-coded into
/usr/bin/switchdesk-helper

For (4b), DISPLAYMANGER support for new desktops, I agree that needs standardization. At least in the case of gdm and kdm, they seem quasi standardized, but don't look in the same place for options (/usr/share/xsessions for gdm, and /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions for kdm). It would appear gdm is doing the better thing here. IMO, kdm (or any DISPLAYMANAGER) should follow suit and use /usr/share/xsessions (or some other agreed-upon, shared location).

-- Rex