Re: F-16 suspends my *desktop* after 30 minutes at the gdm , making it impossible to ssh in

On 10/03/2011 03:48 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> This is todays hardware and with every generation the gap is getting smaller
> between dyn pm savings and suspend savings.

"The annual life cycle energy use for a computer (3-year lifespan) is
2600 MJ [...]. The energy footprint of a computer is thus far more
significant than its physical size would suggest. The energy used for
the production phase is 81% of the total consumed for production and
operation"[1]

I've read other figures of 70% for production but we can agree that it's
not contradicting.

With this in mind I think the REAL energy saving battle lies elsewhere.
Not to diminish the work done on energy saving during usage, but how
much can you reduce from 19% versus 81%? Oh right, we have no control
over the 81%... but maybe it's not a reason good enough to force such
choices onto users. This is a general comment on suspend/always-on/power
off; we saw the same logic being pushed forward to justify the 'hidden'
shutdown option in GNOME. Maybe developers and users should be aware of
the overall impact of their PC, not just the usage part.

Fred

[1]
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4183/Energy-Intensity-of-Computer-Manufacturing