Re: F17 process change proposal

On 09/21/2011 12:47 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 22:38:32 +0300,
>   Kalev Lember <kalevlember@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I would also like to move everybody who has been on the rawhide branch
>> to Branched at Alpha time, in order to get the maximum amount of testing
>> for the new release.
>
> Maybe most, but not everybody. Some people work on stuff in rawhide that
> we don't want to push to branched and it helps to be running rawhide
> to do some of that testing.

Right; this only makes sense when implemented together with the rest of
the proposal which makes rawhide and Branched essentially the same for
the Alpha - Beta time frame.

As it is right now, it is somewhat difficult to get off the rawhide
track and to continue on Branched. For example, if a person that's
running a rawhide system forgets to switch yum to Branched at the branch
time, then after a few days of updates, the system will have already
updated past the versions of package that are in Branched. At that point
it is already difficult to switch from rawhide to Branched, because it
involves downgrading packages. The switch would only get harder with
every passing day.

With my proposal, Branched and rawhide would have exactly the same
package set during the Alpha Freeze - Beta Freeze time frame. That way,
we'd have a month to let users choose whether they want to stay on the
Branched or on the rawhide track.

Technically it should be easy to accomplish by having the fedora-release
package obsolete older fedora-release-rawhide packages during that time
frame. Anyone updating their rawhide systems would get the updated
fedora-release package that contains yum configuration for F17 Branched.

Even though this is the default behaviour, it doesn't take away any
options. Just installing back fedora-release-rawhide would be enough to
get people back on the rawhide track. And after Beta Freeze when rawhide
and Branched diverge again, they'd start getting rawhide builds.

--
Kalev