Re: Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

On 2004.05.30 20:48, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Willem Riede wrote:
> > Why? I've read the barrage of mails this triggered, and I see
> > absolutely no benefit. I can understand the desire to have a more
> > minimal "minimal" install package set, and the packages that would be
> > in that set will probably all sit on the first CD. But that doesn't
> > translate into the need to limit the size of the distribution.
>
> For companies who need a "base" to start with, I disagree.  Not many
> companies want to install the entire "Core."  And by maintaining a
> local "Apt" repository, there is little need to either.
>
> > Convenience for those of us (like me) that use a more extensive
> > package set should not be compromised.
>
> And it will not since "Core" itself will _not_ be touched.
> I too like to install the _full_ Fedora "Core" on my personal
> workstations and servers at home.
>
> But for a corporation which maintains its own configuration management,
> this is not good IMHO.
>
> That's why I suggested making this subset separate.  I called it
> Fedora "Quark."  It is the "common denominator" that all other,
> customized systems can be built from using other "Core" packages,
> while offering a basic GUI (which the 90MB "minimal" install
> does not).

One thing I'm still not sure I understand: Are you advocating a separate
CD image, or an additional, separate, package set in comps that you can
choose to install, in which case you happen to only need CD 1?

Thanks, Willem Riede.