Re: how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16 September 2011 20:46, Jef Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Are you sure you didn't cut it down so much that you are hiding problems
>> that your depsolving rules don't solve well?   Did you throw out someone's
>> baby with all that bathwater?

Perhaps I did; the tests were made intentionally simple.

Richard, I'm stilling trying to figure out what your test repo actually is. As I said previously the git checkout of zif gives me a repodata directory that is not self-consistent with regard to repomd.xml checksums.  That's a problem.   I would appreciate it if you could perhaps publish a http url for your test repo data that you trust from a validity standpoint (not a safe to use standpoint) that I can then poke at with any number of tools that know how to interact with repomd data.  But right now, the breadcrumb starting point you gave me is a non-starter. If repomd and the sqlite db arent actually consistent, I can't do anything useful with that.

But putting that aside for a minute.  I'm interested in asking zif a series of more complicated real world Fedora repository questions to get a better understanding how your chosen scoring rules currently work in practise.
For example....

if I go to install paprefs package on an F15 system, under what circumstances will zif prefer to install kpackagekit  and in what circumstances will it prefer to install gnome-packagekit to meet the PackageKit-session-service requirement which they both provide?

If a system has KDE installed by not GNOME will zif choose to install kpackagekit?  If a system has GNOME installed but not KDE will zif choose gnome-packagekit?

If neither gnome or kde is installed...what does zif choose?  And yes these are valid questions as my F15 system doesn't need kpackagekit or gnome-packagekit installed for either desktop's normal operation or via a yum groupinstall  execution from a system that starts out with neither.

-jef