Re: what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

On 09/15/2011 02:14 PM, Bernd Stramm wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:27:29 +0100

> Many computers are booted very rarely, once a day or so, and then
> sit idle for very long periods of time. This is very wasteful. The
> reason people do this is because booting takes a long time compared to
> starting the set of applications they use.
>
> If you could boot and start applications in say, 1/2 second, usage
> patterns would be completely different.

 Possibly for some. I think we need to divide things up into 4
categories (maybe there are more).

 In my view, for most scenarios startup time is not terribly important
at all - for testers and developers it probably can be far more
significant.

  Any speedups are great to have for most, but if the choice was speedup
boot/start times or speedup the GUI, or fix bugs or just about anything
else ... probably best to spend resources elsewhere ... (assuming
resources are fungible, which of course they aren't :-) )

   --------------
  (i) Server.
   --------------

      These run all the time - reboots are most often in maintenance
window (or evenings / weekends for home servers) primarily if not soely
for kernel updates.

       *** boot time pain more occasional fsck costs and not service startup

       Pain caused by O/S updates - rolling release model would be ideal
for these.

  --------------
 (ii) Desktop.
 --------------

       Often left on, but reboots may happen a little sooner on kernel
update. Some turn them off for power consumption or other reasons - not
sure what fraction.

       *** Startup time not too important except possibly for developers
- esp kernel devs.

 --------------
 (iii) laptop.
 --------------

       typically put into sleep mode for transportation (i.e. close
lid). Restart time is extremely fast. Reboots as for (ii).

       *** Similar to (ii)

  (iv) Virtual Machines

       (a) Server
           *** Rarely rebooted - otherwise same as (ii)

       (b) specific needs (e.g. program a remote which needs windows
           ** boot time not too significant.

       (c) Testing and development on VM's -

           *** boot time probably could be important