Re: Anaconda memory requirements

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 16:02 -0600, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:31:55 -0700
> John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > >  How much  memory will anaconda require to install Fedora 16?
> >
> > Anaconda requires 768MB, and more (>=1GB) if there is no swap partition.
>
> It is not just Anaconda. F15 GA kernel would not even uncompress
> initramfs on anything below 1GB.
>
> On VM hosts, I modify the VMs with virsh to have 1GB, then scale them
> down after installation.
>
> This is getting difficult to manage, I have to say. My almost brand
> new Red Hat corporate T400 only has 2GB, and I have a stack of almost
> good enough boxes. In the past we always felt free to push obsolete
> hardware over to BSD. Remember NPTL? CMOV? But now I have a feeling
> that we may be outstripping the speed of improvement in common hardware.
> Or maybe I need a better computer.
>
> I'm wondering what everyone's feeling is about it. I saw a tweet (by
> Mairin, I think) "the 12GB is a life-changing experience". Well, if
> that's our new standard platform, then sure, no sense to optimize
> for 1GB.

The initial post was very good at citing several sources which make it
clear that the high requirements of F15 and current F16 are a temporary
aberration, so I'm not sure this essay on how evil they are was really
warranted. The anaconda team are very well aware, and working to reduce
the requirements. The thread was a simple question about time frames.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey