Re: Best practice for extracting information from a makefile

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:18:54 -0500, RS (Richard) wrote:

> I'm working on a small library that uses a very simple makefile (no
> autoconf, etc.) and it sets the library name and soname within the
> makefile.
>
> Instead of hard coding it in the spec file I would like to extract the
> library name and soname from the makefile.

Why?
Doesn't the makefile install the library correctly?
Or perhaps you only need to run "ldconfig -n ..." to add missing symlinks?

One reason why I ask these questions is that several packagers prefer
hardcoded sonames in spec files, so they won't build soname bumps
accidentally. For hardcoded sonames in spec files, the build would
fail as an early-warning system.