Re: systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I disagree this thread specifically boils down to familiarity
> argument.  Shall I break down the original post point by point?
<snip>
>  - transparency of code due to shell use
>
> how is shell more transparent?
UNIX sysadmins know shell; so anyone can see what a shell script does,
and how it can be configured, even if it is not documented.  Now tell
me what /lib/systemd/systemd-quotacheck is supposed to do and how it
is configured.

>  - ease of system setup
>
> straight up familiarity argument. shell based is only easier because
> we are familiar with shell and its semantics.
Hm.  (systemctl --all |wc -l) is 288 on my system.  That's a rather
large number of moving parts, with no obvious way to order them or
understand their relations.  I find it very difficult to get an
overall picture of the system, and (systemctl dot) doesn't make it any
better.  Perhaps there's a simple trick that I'm missing?

>  - ease of prototyping, editing, experimenting, etc
>
> straight up familarity argument.  How is systemd harder to prototype
> with other than the fact we collectively aren't familiar with it yet?
I can edit a shell script locally (to debug it or add a feature)
without recompiling and without understanding the internal design of
systemd.
    Mirek