Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

Alexander Boström <abo <at> root.snowtree.se> writes:

> tis 2011-07-12 klockan 06:29 +0000 skrev JB:
>
> > Regarding your statement on Parallelism.
> > Let's consider these two ExecStartPre with 'exec':
> > Is that still considered sequential execution, or parallel execution and
> > a violation of the previous principle ?
>
> Starting SysV scripts from ExecStartPre is (I'm pretty sure) not how the
> systemd authors intended unit files to be written. You can't really talk
> about principles when you go outside of the system's design.

This is exactly the point :-)

Commands represent "jobs" and "processes" (of any possible type, inclusive
daemon, master/slave, multithreading) that can be scheduled and executed
randomly unless forcefully manipulated by scheduling and/or program's implicit
synch constructs.
I expressed a "Warning" in my first post in this thread regarding that.

So, how do you achieve serial execution (or avoid parallelization, ... heresy
claim, considering your project's stated goal and bashing of bash ?) as
represented by a unit file and systemd design ?

You can not assume that the millions of "unwashed" masses (sysadmins, users)
will write sys init building blocks (services, unit files, config files,
scripts, link them into logical and functional entities, etc) and "behave"
according to your wishes, however expressed with regard to interpretation of
how "they should be used" or "we did not intended them to be used this way"
in order to avoid unwanted effects.
To be honest they do not give a penny about your wishes.
They will find every possible venue to more or less try it and possibly screw
it up mightily, consciously and/or intentionally or not.
You can bet on that !

Please take your time (remember, you want to replace system init, and even
have plans for more, also together with GNOME, for "world domination") and
honestly answer this question:

Is your technical concept and design flawed ?

JB