Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

On 07/08/2011 03:57 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
> On 07/08/2011 08:23 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> So, I'd suggest strongly not to try starting all services from a single
>> file. There's a reason why we explicitly forbid having more than one
>> ExecStart= in a unit file (except for Type=oneshot services).
> Thank you for this explanation. It appears your definition of a
> service might be a bit too simple for many subsystems. You seem
> to think that on service will only start one system daemon, which
> is not the case in the more complex subsystems.

Each of the daemons can have its own unit file. We don't have to map the
old initscripts to systemd units 1:1.

>> Also, you should not spawn forking processes in ExecStartPre=, that's
>> not what it is for. In fact I am pretty sure I will change systemd now
>> to kill off all remaining processes after each ExecStartPre= command now
>> that I am aware that people are misusing it like this.
> If they are not for forking off process, what are the for?

ExecStartPre= are for set up commands that do not leaved fork processes
behind when they exit.

> It seems quite logical that one would use a number of ExecStartPre= commands
> to do some set up and then use the ExecStart= to start the daemon.

Well, that's exactly how they're used. Do some preparation in
ExecStartPre and run the daemon in ExecStart.

>> ExecStartPre= is executed strictly in order, and in the order they
>> appear in the unit file.
> True, but there is no synchronization. Meaning first process can
> end after the second process, which think is a problem.

This must be some misunderstanding, or you're seeing an unusual bug.
It just cannot happen. The second ExecStartPre of the unit is run after
the first one exits, not earlier.
Or do you mean synchronization among several units? Then you want to
specify ordering dependencies (Before, After).

Michal