Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 03:15:33PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 16:32 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 05:46:18AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > The big kernel lock doesn't suck. It's the way SMP UNIX did things for
> > dozens of years, and it's the way countless kernel hackers know and
> > love. "Sucks" might be true from the point of view of "hey look at this
> > great fine-grained locking I just designed", but it's very much not true
> > from the poit of the driver author working on the weekend who's just
> > thinking "gee, what the heck is going on, why won't this just work how
> > it has done for the past twenty years?". In other words "suck" depends
> > on viewpoint.
>
> I get your analogy, and your point. But there's a key difference. In the
> kernel community (which is relatively much smaller), there are
> established well documented means by which people find out about things
> like BKL removal and act upon it. There is LWN, there is LKML, there is
> an expectation that those working on the kernel read these things.

We have documentation and we have release notes. There's an expectation
that admins pay attention to these things.

> There should not be, and there is not, an expectation that Linux users
> and admins in the wider world follow distribution mailing lists, wiki
> pages, and IRC obsessively. Or read blogs. That isn't how it's done.
> It's done through slow, gradual change picked up over time, unless you
> want the kind of pain that I believe is coming further down the line.

The systemd transition hasn't been rapid, and what we're talking about
here is a change in best practices rather than a change in what's
possible. Your systemd service file can launch a shell script that execs
the daemon. You can stick with a SysV init file instead. But both
approaches change nothing regarding the intrinsic fragility of sourcing
a freeform shell script as application configuration.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx