Re: OpenMPI, Emacs and libotf problems

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 22:46 +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:39:14 -0700
> Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 20:03 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:
> > > So, this library is missing. However, this should have been
> > > installed as its a dependency, right?
> > >
> > > It can be seen that there are two providers listed for libotf.so.0.
> > > Since 'openmpi' was already installed, so it didn't bother
> > > installing 'libotf'. I could simulate the scenario on a Fedora 15
> > > installation:
> >
> > The problem is that openmpi includes a libotf.so.0, but it's not in a
> > path that the system will usually look in for shared libraries, it's
> > in (libdir)/openmpi/lib/ . openmpi probably shouldn't have a private
> > copy of libotf in the first place (assuming that's what it is, and
> > not just a naming coincidence), but if it's going to have one, it
> > should have a line in the spec to prevent RPM auto-provides from
> > giving the openmpi package a Provides for libotf.so.0.
>
> It's certainly not the same libotf, since OpenMPI does not have
> *anything* to do with truetype fonts.
>
> Even though the library is installed in a non-system directory,
> applications that link against libotf will get an automatically
> generated Requires: against it anyways.

Well, packages get an auto-generated Requires: for libotf.so.0. Anything
that claims to provide libotf.so.0 will satisfy this. The most correct
solution is simply for openmpi to stop claiming to provide libotf.so.0
because, for practical purposes, it does not provide it: even if the
library in question were the same one, openmpi's copy is not in a
location that other packages will know how to use, so in practical
terms, it does not provide the library.

> Maybe OpenMPI upstream should be contacted and asked to rename their
> libotf.

This would also indeed make sense. Googling 'openmpi libotf' I see that
at least Gentoo and Debian have come across this before.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey