Re: R: Re: Calling autoconf in a spec.

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> FWIW, I think we should actually run autoreconf -i -f in ALL specfiles as a
> matter of policy, even if we aren't changing anything,

To what end?  If you need to change configure.ac, that's one thing ...
but if you don't, you're just uselessly exposing yourself to risks.

I have very little use for dogmatic one-size-fits-all answers for
packaging in general; but autotools use is an issue where one size
especially doesn't fit all.  Sometimes it's fine to use upstream's
script as-is; sometimes you have to modify it, and then you might
either want to patch the input files or patch the generated script.

I'd even agree that for some packages it'd be sensible to always
autoreconf even if you aren't changing the input files, if you know
that you've frequently had to change the inputs in the past and you
expect that to be true again in the future.  In that case you might
as well find out sooner rather than later if Fedora's autoconf
changes incompatibly.  (I used to do this myself on most of my
packages, but have stopped except for those that ship horrendously
obsolete autoconf outputs ...)

This seems to me to be an area best left to the judgment of the
individual packager, based on what he's dealing with in a
particular package.

			regards, tom lane