How to best debug kernel problems

I have been having problems with my Lenovo T61 and Rawhide. Currently
the system will do all kinds of watchdog resets when I am booting the
3.0 kernels but not with the 2.6.38 kernel. I am trying to figure out
how to best capture and debug them as they tend to scroll off the
screen faster than I can catch anything. For the rc4 kernels I think
it is dieing when trying to remount the root disk but on the rc5
kernel it gets past that and crashes during nfs or smartd. The funny
thing is.. when I installed kdump and put in 256MB for a kernel save..
the problem goes away on reboot.

Does turning on kdump and installing debuginfo kernel stuff change
things in a way that a watchdog oops won't happen?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren