Re: Trusted Boot in Fedora

2011/6/24 Tomas Mraz <tmraz@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 11:10 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > If trusted boot in fedora is widely deployed, then $random_things may
>> > demand I use a particular fedora kernel in order to access them.
>>
>> I can't see how it would make any difference whether Fedora supports
>> the feature or not - after all, any vendor can add patch Fedora to add
>> TPM support and then "$random_things may demand you use a particular
>> vendor-modified Fedora in order to access them" - or a particular
>> non-Fedora operating system, just as well.

The userbase of Fedora as a whole is substantially larger than the
userbase of fedora users who run non-default kernels. The small
benefit of mandatory remote attestation could be far more easily
outweighed by the loss of the whole Fedora userbase than it could be
outweighed by the loss of the tiny subset of the Fedora users who are
actively practicing the freedom's theoretically provided by Fedora
(and wouldn't simply stop if the freedom was made costly by a
restriction).

[I can make clear examples of cases where large relevant internet
resources chose to exclude userbases larger than
Fedora-users-with-modified kernels for just slight convenience, but
took inconvenience to support ones comparable in size to Fedora, but
I'm trying to stay scrupulously on-topic]

> Yes, I completely agree. What Gregory tries to emphasis here - as I
> understand it, of course he might have a different intention - is purely
> politics and I do not think, that Fedora should involve in political
> decisions in one way or another.
>
> If the feature conforms to Fedora legal requirements and the developers
> of the affected packages are OK with integrating necessary patches, it
> should be allowed.

I'm puzzled by this response.  Would you also support Fedora packaging
and distributing proprietary binary only applications offered under a
license which legally allows Fedora to do so, but which disallowed the
end user the freedom to modify and understand the software?  How is
this also not equally political?

The Fedora project has a specific mission with numerous points around
software innovation which is grounded on a set of foundational
principles with include the users freedom. A likely end result of the
default inclusion of this functionality will degrade these goals. (And
if you do not think that remote attestation will ever be used to
regulate access as has been proposed here, what do you intend to use
it for?)

Personally, I think it is of greater practical concern to me that I
retain the ability to have equal functionality via my system no matter
if I run a non-standard kernel or not, more practically important that
if fedora ships a few binary-only applications here and there.

More technically, can the software be modified to refuse to disclose
the signature which links the chip specific TPM key to any third party
TPM trust root?  If this were not disclosed the functionality could
not be used for third party attestation, but e.g. users could still
use it to make sure a root kit had not been installed on one of their
systems before remotely providing keys because they could simply
remember their hardware's keys rather than validating them against the
manufacturers keys, but a third party that wanted to deny access to
non-standard fedora configurations would have no way to know if the
attestation were authentic. Users could still boot into a special
modified kernel to obtain that linkage, but I believe the simple
roadblock of not making it available by default would address my
concerns.