Re: Gnome Shell Extension manager/framework planned?

Louis Lagendijk writes:

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 22:44 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 22:19:12 +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote
>
> > one of the extensions to add the shutdown option, but believe Gnome3
> > needs more configurability so we can avoid all these "corrections" as
> > extensions.
>
> I think you missed what Gnome is all about.
I don't think I do. I like the simplicity of gnome-shell. In my rawhide
VM I get the fallback and really miss gnome-shell. But I now already
have problems understanding what trivial things all these "extensions"
do. This will make if very difficult in the near future to see which
real extension (applets) I may want to add/use. Something is missing
here. Let's hope these rough edges get sorted out real soon. All these
"extensions" are IMHO killing the simplicity of gnome-shell.

The existence and the proliferation of extensions indicates that a lot of people simply are not happy with what gnome shell does out of the box, and that's why they use the extensions.

If it were not so, then, by definition, nobody would care about these extensions. It's a tautology.