Re: ubuntu to switch to lightdm?

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Camilo Mesias <camilo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, reading between the lines, is it fair to say that Ubuntu seem to
> have chosen a display manager to avoid dbus and consolekit?

I don't think the available information supports any such conclusions
concerning motivation.  If you want to know the motivations for the
decision hop the fence and go have a polite friendly chat about it
with the people who made the decision. Don't assume intentions when
you can just as easily go ask.  And please remember that the choice to
make LightDM the default in Uubntu is most likely different for the
reason why LightDM was started (LightDM is not a Canonical managed
project, no copyright assignment requirement)

I believe the LightDM greeters that currently exist are best described
as toy examples which stress themability. We have no idea what the
final greeter built on top of LightDM will end up communicating with
to meet the design.   It is best to think of LightDM as a framework
for greeter design. It could be at the end of the day that a fully
functional greeter (where fully functional is defined in the scope of
the design meant to be implemented) is actually more complex than gdm
currently is.  It will be very interesting to see how Ubuntu drives
accessibility into their LightDM based greeter presentation and other
design details.

-jef