Re: Is Rawhide supposed to be useful?

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:07:22 -0400
Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All we had here was a case where one tool didn't catch a breakage because
> the other bit of the tools weren't complete enough yet. I don't think
> that's sufficient cause to question rawhide's existence.

The breakage is fine, one expects that.  A fundamental breakage that the
relevant developers don't even notice for weeks is another question; as I
said, that suggests that people running Rawhide are few and far between.

I wasn't thinking about just this case, though.  Here's some advice I got
in March:

> If you are running rawhide ( what now will become F16 ) expect things to
> be broken for some time since maintainers wont necessary build/update
> components for F16 since all the focus is on branched at the moment ( F15 ).

[IOW, Rawhide doesn't just break - it also isn't getting fixed.]

> [...]
>
> If you need a usable system I recommend that you stay away from the
> rawhide train until it hits alpha which is sometime late August if
> memory serves me correct.

(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers/88881)

Even then it occurred to me that, if people are being told to stay away for
six months at a time, all is not as well as it should be.  Even just
waiting from the time of that message until the end of the F15 distraction
is two months of down time...

Oh well, I was just wondering.  I'll stop bugging everybody now.

Thanks,

jon