Re: wireless-tools/net-tools are DEPRECATED

On 04/27/2011 08:48 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

> NM has had one for a while: 4 seconds.  THe problem with longer is that
> then any time you do disconnect the cable or undock your laptop, NM
> would think that you were still connected for 10 seconds (or more) until
> if flipped over to wifi.  So there's a conflict here between people that
> occasionally pull out the network cable to do stuff, and between people
> that dock/undock and move from wired to wifi.

But when you switch from wired to wifi you get a new IP so all your
connections are lost. Having to wait a few seconds more will not add
too much annoyance to the process. On the other end, if someone steps
on my cable, I think it is unreasonable that I only have 4 seconds
to fix it before losing my connections.

I think 4 seconds is too low. And 10 seconds too, I'd say.

Why not configurable? Or, why not to ask the user? ("wired carrier lost
for xx seconds, switching to wifi in xx seconds: button<switch now>,
button<add another minute>")

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it