Re: Announcing the release of Fedora 15 Beta!!

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Arbitrary provenpackagers spending time on rebuilding semi-orphaned
> packages (or even incorrectly retired packages) isn't helpful.

Actually, IMHO it is. We should work together as a community and get rid of
this idea that packages are owned by one person (or a short list of people)
and nobody else is responsible for them. If something is broken in Fedora,
we should work together to fix it. Rebuilds to fix broken dependencies
(possibly with patches to fix FTBFS issues) are an easy way to help making
Fedora as a whole better.

I think it is of value to Fedora to ship as much (useful and properly
licensed) software as possible. That software is clearly useful to somebody
or it wouldn't have been packaged in the first place. Aggressively dropping
packages when they could easily be fixed is not helpful.

Count me as an inclusionist: A package which got through the trouble of
getting added to Fedora should stay there, if remotely possible!

        Kevin Kofler