Re: What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

On 03/30/2011 02:42 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 01:11 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> FHS has 7 years, must be updated.

>>> Flame! :D
>> No, it's a no-go/no-way in most verbose form.
>>
> If strict FHS compliance was a release criteria it's hard to see how we'd have
> made it to F15 in the first place.
Well, the reasons why Fedora isn't FHS compliant to me are obvious.

> I also don't think you can really justify the "massive" qualifier in your
> assertion. The actual text of the (7 year old) FHS has this to say:
7 year old doesn't mean obsolete and doesn't mean to adopt any crack
ridden idea somebody comes up with.

Any ordinary Fedora contributor with a similar proposal would have been
"sent to hell".

> I find it interesting that you consider a breach of the "root directory
> pollution rule" sufficiently serious to be a release blocker
Correct.

Apart of this, it's waaaaaaaay too late in the release process to
implement this change for F15, IMNSHO.

>   and yet you have
> apparently remained silent as all the abuses of the /dev directory that Lennart
> pointed out were merged in previous releases.
I have repeatedly spoken up - e.g. wrt. cgroup.

> Why is that those FHS violations are OK but adding a directory to / (in an
> obvious effort to address one of the shortcomings of the existing standard) is
> the end of the world as we know it?
>
> No standard is or even should be carved in stone for all eternity.
Right, but devs should ignore it or feel tempted to rape such a standard.

Ralf