Re: Compiz 0.9 landing in Rawhide

Adam Williamson wrote:
> and I would need an exception to the 'no-non-upstreamed-patches' policy to
> ship those patches.

That's not a policy, it's a purely indicative guideline which states very
clearly that there are many reasons why patches can be needed. It's purely
the maintainer/comaintainer's call when to apply a patch, you don't have to
get an "exception" approved by anyone.

(FWIW, I think that that "guideline" should be deleted entirely, it has been
used very often as an excuse to refuse improvements which would have made
Fedora as a whole better, and I fail to see how it is in our best interest,
or even of any use at all to us. Sometimes upstream projects just have
different requirements and priorities from ours; modifying the code to fit
our needs is the best solution to this problem, and very much in the spirit
of Free Software.)

        Kevin Kofler