Re: Compiz 0.9 landing in Rawhide

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Configuration from 0.8 does not migrate to 0.9. You'll have to re-do
> your configuration. This isn't a consequence of the gconf stuff
> mentioned above, it's just an upstream change: for all config storage
> backends, there was a clean break from 0.8 to 0.9 and configuration is
> not carried over. Ubuntu has some patches which attempt to migrate 0.8
> configs to 0.9, but they're not 100% reliable and add time to each
> startup, so they are not likely to be merged upstream, so we won't be
> carrying them in Fedora. I'm afraid you'll have to re-do your
> configuration with the 0.9 switch, if you have a custom compiz
> configuration; sorry about that.

I think this is really unhelpful. If Ubuntu has patches to migrate
configuration automatically, we should ship them. It's really rude to force
users to reconfigure everything when they upgrade to a new Fedora just
because upstream couldn't be bothered to migrate settings properly (and I
hate upstreams doing that).

        Kevin Kofler